What is Anxiety?
To overcome something, first you need to figure out exactly what it is that you’re trying to overcome. We’ve all studied for important tests or prepared for interviews and have been nervous about the outcome–that’s perfectly natural. Anxiety is taking this common nervousness a step further.
When you become anxious over too many things, when thoughts start taking over every waking moment, that’s when it becomes “anxiety”. That’s when you know there is a problem you need to address pretty soon. If you think about it, anxiety can only happen when you’re letting your mind think into the future. As the saying goes, “Think about the past and you’ll be depressed, think about the future and you’ll be anxious and stressed.”
The word anxious actually means: “experiencing worry, uneasiness, or nervousness, typically about an imminent event or something with an uncertain outcome.” It’s a 100% mental phenomenon, and that’s good news!
Since anxiety is a mental problem, you have control over whether or not to allow it to occupy any space in your mind and you also have control to go beyond it fully.
Although we need to plan for the future, we can’t actually live a future that has not yet happened. What is going to happen is what is supposed to happen and all we can do is prepare for it in the best possible way.
Being anxious or worried about something and allowing your mind to play out every single possible scenario over and over will change nothing and it can drive you crazy.
Some of the symptoms manifest themselves in the body…. Check out these signs, symptoms, and effects to see if what you are experiencing is truly anxiety.
Can’t think straight
Have no energy
Can’t sit still
Get sick easily
Lack of appetite
Overeating (nice excuse!)
Decreased sexual desire (only in women)
Emotional imbalance (can go from 0 to bitch in 60 seconds!)
Erratic decisions (Just because, that’s why)
how to go beyond Anxiety
As with most problems we deal with, there are short-term “fixes” and long-term “cures”. Short-term fixes are good for immediate relief, but investing in a long-term cure is the way to overcome anxiety for good.
To get quick relief from anxiety, try one or two, heck even all of these tips. You can’t sleep so you might as well be doing something to help yourself!
1) If you’re anxious about something that’s going to happen soon, like a test or interview, do your homework, ensure that you’ve reviewed everything pertinent to the test or interview, and make yourself as smart as possible on the subject at hand. Look your best for the occasion, smile, and enjoy the experience. It will never happen again.
2) When you notice the thought process of anxiousness beginning to happen, stop and take 10 slow and deep breaths by keeping your entire focus on the breath. You can sit in a comfortable position, close your eyes, take 10 deep breaths and if you need more, start with your toes and scrunch them tight for a few seconds, then release. Move to your feet and tighten those muscles, then relax. Move on up your body to your calves, thighs, buttocks, abdomen, chest, hands, etc. until you get to the scalp. Yes, you can scrunch your scalp, and it feels good! This breathing and muscle exercise has got to make you feel better. If you need more, read on.
3) If an anxious thought enters your mind and refuses to go away, force it out! Think of a color–let’s say Imagine the color red in your mind and repeat the word “red, red, red, red, red” until your mind is full of red and the nagging thought is gone. This sounds kind of silly, but it really works!
4) You can even hold your breath for a few seconds; notice that you don’t have thoughts when you’re holding your breath–I guess our bodies get worried that we might not take another breath so the focus turns from anxiety to the breath. Don’t hold it until you pass out, though!
5) Try to identify what it is about the situation that is making you anxious. If you’re trying to make a decision about something, take a pen and paper and make 2 lists; one with positives about the decision, and one with negatives. This will help you get the thought process out of your mind.
6) This one is very important–Don’t worry about things you have no control over! If thoughts of terrorism, world peace, and global warming are making you anxious, sit down and give yourself a reality check. What control do you have over that? If reading about all these “out-of-your-control” things on social media or the news is fueling your anxiety, then stop reading about it. Don’t feel guilty about not reading about them either–you are the one in control of your sanity and if stepping away from the barrage of negative news is what works for you, then by all means, DO IT!
7) Don’t take on every project that comes along. It’s okay to “dump” things that are making you anxious. It is perfectly okay to say, “NO!” Get your life into a state that makes you comfortable.
8) Your emotional state affects your thought processes, and this in turn can cause anxiety. Avoid clutter; clean up your space–it really helps! Have fresh flowers in the room.
9) Go for a walk, get some fresh air. Do what’s called a “walking meditation”. What this is, is simply walking and pay attention to the walking. Don’t do like usual and just walk and let your mind wander. Your mind is tuned to the horror channel, and unless you decide what to think about, your mind will play out horror scenes for you. Stay in the moment and notice what life is going on around you.
10) Do a guided relaxation exercise. There is a guided meditation on the “Meditation” page that will help you forget the ugly thought monster for a little while. It’s about 20 minutes long and it will definitely divert your attention.
There are several herbs that are great for relief from anxiety. Prepare a cup of tea using chamomile, peppermint, lemon balm, or passionflower (or a mixture of them). There are also several ready-made herbal mixtures in the market. How you prepare and consume the tea is just as important as the herbs you use. Heat the water and prepare the herbs with awareness; that means pay attention to what you are doing! You have no idea how important keeping your mind in the present moment is–it’s everything! Drink the tea from a pretty cup (not styrofoam) and sit in a comfortable space while you’re enjoying the tea.
If tea isn’t your thing, there are several herbs available in tincture form that work wonders to dispel anxiety and uneasiness; Ashwagandha, Valerian root, kava kava, and motherwort. These are usually taken in water, but check out reliable herbal resources for more information.
An herbal bath is also a marvelous way to ease anxiety. Toss a handful of lavender, lemon balm, or chamomile flowers into a warm bath and sink into the fragrance of peace. You could also tune in to our “Music” page for some amazing relaxation music.
Short term relief / long term cure
Dealing with immediate symptoms of anxiety will only provide short-term relief. To be able to reduce your tendency to be anxious over the long run, you need to take a more serious and organized approach to train your mind to quit wandering off to places you don’t approve of.
To help you go beyond anxiety permanently, we’ve designed a comprehensive online program with all the necessary resources, tools and guidance. “Inner-Revolution” is a program that honestly, will help you in every way possible with anything concerning your mind. We’ve never been taught how to deal with our minds so they’ve gotten out of control. The program explains how our minds work and then explains in detail how to work your mind instead of your mind working you.
Complete information on the course follows immediately, so read through it and if you still have questions, please chat with us (we’re online most of the time) or e-mail us for a timely response. Learning about the part of you that only you can experience is the most important thing you will ever do.
Inner Revolution is a nonprofit public charity headquartered in Tennessee. Our mission is to reduce stress, anxiety and depression across America through programs & awareness activities. We are 100% committed to the cause of helping you live a more peaceful & stress-free life.
Inner-Revolution Online Program
Can you imagine never brushing your teeth? I bet you can’t! This is because you have been taught how important it is to keep your mouth clean. Throughout our lives we are taught how to walk, talk, eat, and take care of our bodies, but nobody has ever taught us how to take care of our minds. We are not taught how to deal with negative emotions such as stress, anger, fear, or rejection.
Our bodies instinctively know when to rest, but our minds run constantly–no one has taught us how to get a break from the constant barrage of thoughts generated by our minds. Our minds are the teeth that have never been brushed.
“Inner-Revolution” online program is a unique endeavor to provide the best possible resources for individual transformation. This revolutionary program is the result of years of wisdom distilled from the Inner Revolution team. Subjects including philosophy, psychology, spirituality, religion, science, arts and language have been explored and utilized to offer simple, effective and practical solutions to deal with life. This program has been comprehensively designed to help you understand the most important aspects of life in its entirety.
Key issues addressed by the “Inner-revolution” program
Physical & Mental
Handling Craving & Addiction
Stress & Anxiety
Fear & Uncertainty
Creativity & Individual Expression
Deeper Meaning & Purpose of Life
Research Results Reported by Program Participants
Renewed Energy and Enthusiasm
Better Quality of Sleep
Better Emotional Balance
I’ve been struggling with questions like, there’s got to be something more to life, and how can I be happier? Since taking the Inner-Revolution program, I am now on a path which answers those questions and many more!Theresa
This program has completely transformed my life. I cannot imagine my life without having gone through this wonderful program. My understanding and experience of life has improved significantly.Lavanya
I learned so many new aspects of human psychology and emotions that are not taught to us in mainstream education. You owe it to yourself to take this program and start living life like you have always wanted.Slade
“Inner-Revolution” is an online program comprised of 14 sessions of 45-60 minutes each. Once registered for the program, you will have access to the content for 60 days. Each program module consists of text, videos, guided sessions and assessment questions.
Frequently asked questions
Question 1: Can I split up a lesson into 2 parts if I don’t have time to finish the lesson in one session?
Each lesson will take approximately 45 minutes to one hour to complete. Although it’s better to take the lesson in one sitting, splitting it up into 2 sessions is okay if necessary.
Question 2: Do I have to drastically change any of my daily routines to apply the learnings?
Inner-Revolution is designed to be easily incorporated into your daily routine without requirement of any dramatic changes. Simple, practical and effective techniques for self-transformation are the basis of this program.
Question 3: Can I share the program with my friends?
Inner-Revolution is a non-profit organization that was founded to spread the message of inner peace and love. All the proceeds collected from programs, books, and donations are used to help spread the message far and wide. Please share the links to let people know about the program, but don’t share your personal login details with others. We thank you.
Question 4: Is there a minimum age limit?
Anybody 13 years and above will benefit from taking this program.
Question 5: Is there any kind of software I need to have to view the program?
No. All you need is an internet connection. The program loads directly on your web browser.
Question 6: Can I take the program on my smartphone or tablet?
Yes! The program has been optimized to be viewed on a cellphone or a tablet.
Question 7: Can I cancel the program and get a refund before the 60 days?
Registration will give you full access to the program content. If you are dissatisfied about any aspect of the program, you can reach out to us. Refund is not an available option.
Question 8: Will I see all lessons at once or one at a time? How much time do I have to complete one lesson?
You will have access to the entire program from day 1 to 60. You may repeat, rewind, and watch any part of any lesson as many times as you wish for the 60-day period.
Question 9: If I'm interested in further learning, what should I do?
Contact us if you wish to pursue your practice further. Our teachers are available for one-on-one instruction and we can have advanced programs scheduled at our center in Tennessee.
Question 10: How do I contact you if I have any questions or technical difficulties?
You can chat with us. If we are offline, you can leave a message and we will get back to you. You can also e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org or reach us at 931 787 3333.
Special introductory price: $119
100% of your program fee goes to support our non-profit cause. Upon registration you will be directed to the online program. We will send you an email with your login details. You will have 60 days to complete the program.
You will have chat and phone support throughout the program to get your questions answered.